Steve loves Louise

I'm like Frankenstein, but without the screaming. The evil genius, that is - not the monster.

The kitchen is my lab and today I created something that, when it came out of the oven, looked so perfect I nearly cried out, 'It's alive!'

Okay - I just read those two lines back and it sounds like I really rate myself. So let me cut to the chase:

I made a Louise slice and instead of using jam I used lemon curd. Lemon Louise, oh how I love her. This was an idea that occurred to me a few weeks back and finally I've done something about it. There's a little lemon in the base and the sual coconut in the meringue and it all works perfectly.



Tips:
1. You could blast the base together in a food processor, but I find it just as quick and easy in a bowl. And it saves on dishes cos you have to use a bowl anyway.

2. Softened the butter, but don't melt it. The easiest way to do that is by zapping it in the microwave on the lowest possible setting for a minute or two.

3. I use dessicated coconut, which is a lot finer. I like the lightness it gives the meringue. But you can use the shredded stuff for a more rustic effect.

0 comments:

Post a Comment